[Marxism] "For members only" ISO documents now available: when will they ever learn?

David P Á david at miradoiro.com
Fri Feb 14 06:20:30 MST 2014

On 14/02/2014 14:12, Louis Proyect wrote:
> I can certainly understand why Mike would take this tack since it goes
> hand in hand with the fetish his group (for the lack of a better word)
> makes over security.

I think there are two distinct aspects here that are being conflated.

1) Is it wise for the ISO to have internal documents of this nature?

On this I mostly agree with you that, barring certain security sensitive
topics (for example participation in illegal demonstrations or strikes,
etc) there is little point to keeping information secret from the
outside and perhaps it does do some harm, though one could argue that
the organisation is freer to debate and decide without external pressure
of non-members supporting one or another position.

2) Is it reasonable to leak the documents, considering these are the
rules of operation of the organisation, democratically accepted by its
members?

To this I would have to say no. Whatever we may think about sectarian
orgs and their needless façades of unity, this is an issue for the
organisation to decide, and one where democratic centralism, in its
broadest and best meaning, has a place: if an organisation has made the
decision, however foolish, of keeping certain information restricted to
the membership, it goes against unity in action to publish it.

I would write something here about Platypus but that would be entirely
another story.

--David.