[Marxism] Stephen Hawking: "What's happening in Syria is an abomination"

Clay Claiborne clayclai at gmail.com
Fri Feb 14 18:52:03 MST 2014

      Opinions

  Syria’s war must end

      By Stephen Hawking,

/Stephen Hawking is the author of “A Brief History of Time
<http://www.amazon.com/dp/0553380168?tag=washpost-opinions-20&camp=0&creative=0&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=0553380168&adid=0DJN2YTAZXAEHA785F7K>”
and a former professor of mathematics at the University of Cambridge
<http://www.cam.ac.uk/>./

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/stephen-hawking-syrias-war-must-end/2014/02/14/a71dea72-94f0-11e3-83b9-1f024193bb84_story.html

> What’s happening in Syria is an abomination, one that the world is
> watching coldly from a distance. Where is our emotional intelligence,
> our sense of collective justice?

The reason I think that what's happening in Syria is far more important
than fracking, same-sex marriage, global warming, gitmo, or chain
reaction, is that if we can avert our eyes and ignore what's happening
there, we will never have the courage to face other catastrophes when
and if they rise to the level of another holocaust. We will be hard
pressed to respond when the next government decides to use poison gas,
starvation, and the massive use of artillery and war planes against it
own people. A very dangerous precedent is being set in Syria as to what
a government is allowed to do to suppress its people and how we will
respond to those atrocities.

So please remember the Syrian children who are being starved and barrel
bombed by the Assad regime on this Valentine's Day.

In Solidarity,

Clay Claiborne,