[Marxism] From one of the purloined ISO documents

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Feb 15 09:07:43 MST 2014

Change the “members only” restriction on pre-convention documents and
discussions

I have two main points:

1) We need to discuss, as an organization, the new reality of
non-privacy online.

2) We need to bring our practices and expectations of privacy in line
with this new reality.

We need to discuss, as an organization, the new reality of non-privacy
online.

Privacy is dead. If you believed your communications online were
private, Edward Snowden's leaks about the scope of the NSA spying
program should have put that notion finally to rest. Everything we do
online is recorded and stored in a database of some kind outside of our
personal control. Corporations wrangle with each other over who controls
that information. Governments spend billions to intercept, collect, and
analyze what its population is saying, doing and thinking. Your online
activity is the hydro-fraked, tar-sanded, fossil fuel that runs the
global consumer markets. Your rants, posts, articles, and reading habits
tell the NSA how much of a "threat" you might or might not be to the
functioning of the system.