[Marxism] Opening the left door wide | New Politics

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Feb 16 11:46:29 MST 2014

The decline of the organized left, beset with internecine programmatic
disputes, reveals both a reduced capacity to build a base and a loss of
influence beyond its diminished numbers. Advocacy for class independence
is not a bargaining chip the far left must give up when it regroups, nor
is cohabitation in bourgeois governments a precondition. It may not be a
matter of the will of the far left to forge a regrouped or rebooted
left; it may come down to a matter of necessity with social conditions
at a tipping point (cf. Syriza in Greece), of the basic survival of the
broad left. What is certainly clear is that the left must be able to
accomplish a regroupment in order to inspire confidence in the class.
The class is mostly to our right, and being tugged even farther. It is
where we will struggle for the hearts and minds of the builders of a
just future. But we have little prospect of persuading the class if we
can’t forge a united left. These are the immediate concurrent tasks for
the far left everywhere that capital reigns, and is the strategy we must
continue to employ. The renewal that Godard prescribes for the NPA  is
not a new strategy. The regroupment that is Syriza, as contradictory and
unfinished as it is, is not only an electoral formation, but aims to
build a base and organize a movement at the same time. This is an
advance that has paid off for the regroupment strategy with an
astounding poll result to show for it as well. It shows a method for
growth, experimental and with more questions than answers – but one
which has inspired the broad left and is for now what stands in the way
of the ascendant right.

full: http://newpol.org/content/opening-left-door-wide