[Marxism] UAW Vote at VW in Tennessee

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 12:15:13 MST 2014

There are any number of interpretations of the Chattanooga vote, but as
I've said on a few overlapping lists, the biggest takeaway I see is that
established unions ought not set out to organize workplaces where employees
have it *better* than the members they already represent. That's just dumb.
There are more than enough workers in the United States - including in its
automotive sector, broadly defined - who have it *worse* than UAW members
at the Big Three. Maybe they'll vote for it. I can easily see why those at
VW didn't.

I can imagine, say, the Marxmail list voting to be represented by a union
with a recent history of delivering less than your boss. I would too.

But would any actual bargaining unit outside the edgy non-profit sector
(also favored by the UAW)? That's a little harder for me to picture.

--
lytlað."