[Marxism] Fw: Unprecedented events have taken place in the Indian Parliament yesterday

Gary MacLennan gary.maclennan1 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 15:25:55 MST 2014

Dear Comrade Vijaya,

I understand your feelings.  My last post received no comment and it came
from my heart.  But I know it was read and sometimes there is nothing to
say but to offer solidarity and that can be done in silence.

I confess that I have generally been remiss in not following Indian
politics nearly as closely as I follow Indian cricket (fanatically!).  But
I was astonished at your complaint about posts on Ireland.  Traditionally
Indian revolutionaries were  very interested in Ireland and Nehru addressed
the Irish parliament in what was seen as a gesture of solidarity.
 Somewhere in my library is a booked stamped with "Deannta in Eireann"
[made in Ireland] and it was published during the boycott of English goods
organised by the Irish revolutionary movement, Sinn Fein.  That boycott
movement inspired Indian comrades in the formation of the Swadeshi
movement.

Sri Aurobindo, before his mystical vision in prison, knew Sister Nivideta
(nee Margaret Noble in Dungannon, Ireland) the disciple of Vivekananda.
Moreover Aurobindo wrote the following poem about the Irish Leader Parnell

Charles Stewart Parnell

1891

O pale and guiding light, now star unsphered,

Deliverer lately hailed, since by our lords

Most feared, most hated, hated because feared,

Who smot'st them with an edge surpassing swords!

Thou too wert then a child of tragic earth,

Since vainly filled thy luminous doom of birth.

BTW It would  interesting to compare the current agitation with the
opposition to the proposed division of Bengal by Lord Curzon in 1905.

Comradely

Gary