[Marxism] When Edward R. Murrow Visited Sid Caesar's Place | Splitsider

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Feb 24 03:39:31 MST 2014

http://splitsider.com/2014/02/edward-r-murrow-visits-sid-caesars-place/

This amusing article refers to Sid Caesar's gun fetish:

When asked what he does to relax, Sid offers to show Murrow, but before
doing so he puts on a big show of asking his wife for permission to
leave, kisses her hand repeatedly before telling the viewers at home
that because she's beautiful, "you've got to pay attention." Whether
this is being played up for the cameras or sincerely how doting a
husband he was is uncertain, but they remained married for 67 years, so
he must have done something right. It is at this point that we are
brought into the gun room. It's a very small room, off of the living
room, but it's simply packed with rifles, all watched over by a mounted
deer head hanging from the wall. He briefly tells the story of how he
shot the deer, the only animal he's ever killed, despite the armory in
his apartment. He shot the deer, set down his gun and ran over to it,
and it sprang up and began to run away. He ran back to his gun and shot
it again, killing it. Then when he put on the deer card to mark it as
his kill, he misspelled his name, flustered from the experience.

--

It confirms my experience with Sid spending hours at a firing range:

http://louisproyect.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/pages-from-unrepmarx_page_1.jpg?w=1024&h=1534