[Marxism] Fascist threat in Ukraine?

h0ost host at mailoo.org
Mon Feb 24 13:09:14 MST 2014

On 02/24/2014 02:59 PM, Louis Proyect wrote:

> Rightwing nationalist, like the Serbs in Bosnia or Putin's backers for
> that matter. That is why I am so puzzled by the harping on Swoboda. They
> pale in comparison to the Russian ultras.

With the only twist, perhaps, that Svoboda traces its background
directly from Bandera, whereas the Russian ultras are ideologically a
post-1989 creation.  Bandera engaged in racist ethnic cleaning of Poles,
Jews and Russians, while fighting the Red Army (and eventually the
Germans as well).  Russian ultras have a less "illustrious" lineage (so
far!).

They are both shit, and rightfully condemned by leftists, but I think
Svoboda's ascension today marks a legitimation of Bandera's movement in
WW II, a general vindication of ultra-right ideology in the 21st century
Ukraine.

The removal of Lenin statues is also telling.  I personally didn't
realize there were so many of them left.  This is not the case in other
parts of Eastern Europe.