[Marxism] The Surrender of America's Liberals | Moyers & Company | BillMoyers.com

michael yates mikedjyates at msn.com
Tue Feb 25 12:42:09 MST 2014

I read Adolph Reed's essay in Harpers, which I assume is the basis of this interview. He seems to belabor the obvious about liberals and Obama, making points that many others have made. Not that he is wrong, just that he offers nothing new. He says that we need to rebuild the labor movement, and he criticizes Trumka. He says that we all must commit ourselves to labor and to class politics. Well, yes, but so what? In the aftermath of the labor debacle in Wisconsin, Reed took some of us to task for airing labor's dirty laundry in public, actually saying that we were giving aid and comfort to the enemy. Yet, how is labor to be rebuilt without open and critical discussion of the sorry state of organized labor in the United States? Reed never says. Maybe he does that behind close doors, lest labor's enemies get wind of it.