[Marxism] [Pen-l] Ukraine, Stalin, Hitler, and the American liberal | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

h0ost host at mailoo.org
Wed Feb 26 16:20:22 MST 2014

On 02/26/2014 05:17 PM, William Cockshott wrote:

> I see Lord Rothemere has gone the whole way from appologist for imperialism to appologist for open Nazism.

> Furthermore, I continue to be amazed by the failure of some leftists to
> put rightwing Ukrainian nationalism in context, as if the toppling of
> Lenin statues was prima facie evidence of the need to have backed the
> ousted president Viktor Yanukovych. For such people the fact that
> President Putin backed him was grounds in and of itself to oppose the
> protest movement, as if neoliberal Russia had anything to do with the USSR.
>
> full:
> http://louisproyect.org/2014/02/26/ukraine-stalin-hitler-and-the-american-liberal/

I thought that the problem with toppling Lenin's statues is more of an
expression of the visceral anti-leftism of those in power today.  Who's
doing the toppling?  The Right Sector and Svoboda.  Don't see how
speaking against the toppling of Lenin, is automatically a sign of
support for Putin?

To speak against the destruction of monuments commemorating the victory
against Nazi Germany should be a no-brainer for any leftist.