[Marxism] Max Weber and Trotsky

shaun may mnwps at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 27 19:10:58 MST 2014

On Feb 27, 2014, at 7:44 PM, Jim Farmelant <farmelantj at juno.com> wrote:> Max Weber in his famous lecture, "Politics as a Vocation" quotes Trotsky as having said at Brest-Litovsk, "Every state is founded on force."
> > I'm interested in tracking down where the quote is from and assuming it to be accurate, what the context was when Trotsky said that.

No idea where the quote is from.

However, of note is Trotsky, in 'Their Morals and Ours', who observed that in the class struggle...

'morality is one of the ideological functions in this struggle. The ruling class forces its ends upon society and habituates it to considering all those means which contradict its ends as immoral. That is the chief function of official morality. It pursues the idea of the "greatest possible happiness" not for the majority but for a small and ever diminishing minority. Such a regime could not have endured for even a week through force alone. It needs the cement of morality'.

[Trotsky. Their Morals and Ours. (Pathfinder, New York, 1979) p.20]

He adds that...

'morality more than any other form of ideology has a class character'. [Ibid. p.21]

http://shaunpmay.wordpress.com

http://spmay.wordpress.com