[Marxism] Max Weber and Trotsky

Charles Faulkner lacenaire at comcast.net
Thu Feb 27 20:25:52 MST 2014

as with rosa luxemburg recently the answer is probably found in the originals of both trotsky and weber, which i don't have.
using this translation of trotsky's comments at brest-litovsk http://www.marxists.org/archive/trotsky/1918/05/brestlitovsk.htm) the closest thing appears to be the following:
"every country or almost every country, even the most backward, could at beginning of the war be in possession of the mightiest engines of destruction – or could import them."

obviously, this isn't it.
it's my understand that the treaty of brest-litovsk was ratified at the fourth congress. trotsky's address is very much concerned with state power but i have not found that direct quote in the translation ( http://www.marxists.org/archive/trotsky/1924/ffyci-2/18b.htm).
i also see nothing like it in his report on the fourth congress (http://www.marxists.org/archive/trotsky/1924/ffyci-2/24b.htm).
sorry i couldn't help. it is interesting how the quote replicates itself across the internet with the same (erroneous?) attribution.