[Marxism] [Pen-l] Prediction: Ukraine's love affair with the West will be short-lived

h0ost host at mailoo.org
Fri Feb 28 09:38:24 MST 2014

On 02/28/2014 11:12 AM, Louis Proyect wrote:
siness".

> If Ukraine is about to undergo a Greek-style austerity program, that
> will direct anger at the government, not at the Kremlin. Will the
> fascists use violence against the protests that will surely emerge, just
> as Golden Dawn does in Greece? Call me old-fashioned but I think that
> imposing austerity will force Ukrainians to seek a permanent solution to
> their woes. That's something nationalism has no answer for.

And austerity is definitely going to be imposed, if judged by the
repeated pronouncements of the new government, EU, US and IMF officials.

I think the scenario you've outlined is highly probable, the details
surely to emerge as those struggles begin.

The cynical side of me thinks that stormtroopers exist today to pre-empt
large scale organized leftist mobilizations.  As those develop, the
street thugs will be deployed to smash them, which of course can work,
or not.

And increased proliferation of ultra-nationalist movements across the
EU, something which is happening publicly, is also not an accident.  As
we know now, Operation Gladio was a reality, and the crux of that kind
of "preventative" anti-leftist strategic thinking must still be going on
in Brussels and Washington in some way influencing policy.