[Marxism] [Pen-l] Prediction: Ukraine's love affair with the West will be short-lived

Sergii Kutnii mnkutster at gmail.com
Fri Feb 28 10:40:20 MST 2014

> The cynical side of me thinks that stormtroopers exist today to pre-empt
> large scale organized leftist mobilizations.  As those develop, the
> street thugs will be deployed to smash them, which of course can work,
> or not.

This is more or less true for Ukraine. And it should be noted that
Yanukovich used this tactics against opposition.

We, the leftists in Kyiv, could feel (physically, see
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1377877089101400/) since about 2011
that neo-nazi thugs close to 'Svoboda' received a green light signal
from the regime that stopped prosecuting them for obvious crimes.

The main target was parliamentary opposition which now rules the
country - it was clear that Yanukovich was hoping that right populists
replace the more mainstream centre-right forces. Acceptance of fascism
is quite low in Ukraine so  Svoboda's leader Tyahnybok was the only
candidate that could lose presidential elections to Yanukovich.

That's why the regime was allowing them to grow freely and appear radical.
The leftists were competitors in the field of radical social protest
so Svoboda used nazi hooligans to drive us out.

But the interessting thing here is that Svoboda is also a natural
competitor to the now-ruling centre-right. the rivalry will be quite
bitter