[Marxism] From a Notebook on Dialectics

Ralph Johansen mdriscollrj at charter.net
Fri Feb 28 17:21:35 MST 2014

shaun may wrote

If we are studying the universal structure of all movement and change
and we have articulated a conception of that universal structure, is
that "abstract"?
"If we are studying the universal structure of all movement and change
and we have articulated a conception of that universal structure", in
doing so is it or is it not necessary to abstract from the phenomena
from which the conception of universal structure is derived? And what if
we are not studying "the universal structure of all movement and
change", but a contemporary problem facing the working class? How is the
dialectical method employed there - or if you are implying that it is
only when through dialectical inquiry we have articulated a conception
of that universal structure that its usefulness may be appreciated and
extended, fair enough. I have not yet read any of Bertell Ollman's
writings on dialectical materialism, some of which are online, and
probably I'll read Fredric Jameson's Valences of the Dialectic, which I
have but have not yet read. Then if my questions remain unanswered, at
least I will have saved a lot of space and time here.

---