[Marxism] What's in a name? Linux vs. Stallman's GNU/Linux

Clay Claiborne clayclai at gmail.com
Wed Jan 1 04:21:09 MST 2014

here are some selections on this question from Slashdot. Slashdot has
been one of the best places to hear what people in the community are
saying. These comments are from 1999 when it was still a hot topic,
since then the masses have long settled on just calling it Linux but RMS
is still flogging that dead horse.

Ditto his distinction between "free software" vs "open source
software."  I think its very personal for him, he feels cheated of due
credit but he makes it into a big political question. Do you know the
kernel he never finished, the kernel that would have made an OS out of
his support software was to be named after his girl friend at the time.
Now that's personal.

http://slashdot.org/story/99/04/09/1516203/gnulinux-vs-linux

This first comment addresses why I say RMS is ultra-left on free
software/open source:
> RMS doesn't care if 2 people are 2 million people use his software;
> this isn't a popularity contest for him. If you've followed his whole
> 'open-source' vs 'free' debate, you can see that quite clearly. The
> 'open-source' advocates think that it (OSS/FS) is good if lots of
> people end up using it, whereas RMS seems to think it's good per se.
ultra-left and anarchist share this same flaw, they are convinced they
have created the perfect system in their minds and will brook no
"compromise" to see such a system succeed in the real world. RMS vision
of "free software" and the GNU/Linux system with rules like "you can't
link free software to non-free software" "you can't write books on Free
software and copyright and sell them like almost every other book
published under capitalism" [how could you even enforce such a rule
without violating free speech?] would have been used by a handful of
techies. Linux and open source software, base on precisely the same GPL
and property model is now used by billions and represent a very real
challenge to the capitalist model of intellectual property - and this
has been accomplished before capitalism is overthrown. RMS would never
have accomplished anything like that but he will the the darling of some
on the Left that were asleep when this debate was settled in the
community more than a decade ago.

In a period that has seem incredible privatization of public properties,
the open source software movement has created a public property that
directly challenges Microsoft in value and utility. RMS would never have
accomplished that.

> First off, that editorial, IMHO, was dead on. Can't much argue with that.
>
> But what irks me more is that we have people like RMS, and those who
> feel the need to respond to him, tied up in a useless debate when they
> could be making significant contributions to the rest of the open
> source community. I mean, geez...let it go! It seems as though RMS is
> focused more on getting attention for past glory instead of using his
> considerable talents and energy for future projects.
>
> And as for the people who respond to him and spend the time and energy
> defending/fighting him...you folks can end it. If you no longer pay
> any attention to RMS, then he'll either get the picture and move on to
> better things, or he'll end up irrelevant. Either way, the community
> and the movement moves on.
>
> Suggestion: next time RMS gets an ant in his pants about GNU/Linux,
> whether it's in a post online or at a live conference, ignore it. Move
> on. Call it Linux, call it BSD/X/GNU/Linux/GNOME whatever. But don't
> give in. Either he'll see the light and drop the subject, or he'll get
> tossed out on his keister for causing a scene.
>
> And everyone else gets to move on. Enough of this, already. A rose by
> any other name....
That was written 14 years ago and RMS still makes his stand on
GNU/Linux. semantics is all?