[Marxism] Will Boeing Workers Nix Givebacks in Forced Re-vote? | Labor Notes

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Jan 1 10:34:51 MST 2014

http://labornotes.org/2013/12/will-boeing-workers-nix-givebacks-forced-re-vote

An article by Jim Leavitt. I knew Leavitt back in 1978 when I was in the
Kansas City branch of the SWP trying to "make the turn" to industry.
This meant taking courses in lathe and milling machine at a high school
in the evenings. When I got done with the classes, I was going out to
find an entry level job as a machinist. At the time, Leavitt was a
skilled machinist. At a branch meeting in November, the organizer told
us that the SWP was discouraging people from taking jobs as machinists
or any other skilled jobs because they separated us from the more
oppressed workers in garment, meatpacking, etc. That was all I needed to
convince me to resign. Leavitt stuck around for another few years and
then quit. He did, however, stay in industry for the next 20 years and
is obviously in a good position to give the benefit of his experience to
co-workers involved in a major struggle at Boeing where he has been
working ever since leaving Kansas City. Like Carl Finamore and Jon
Flanders, he is a member of the largest group on the left in the USA:
ex-SWPer's.