[Marxism] What's in a name? Linux vs. Stallman's GNU/Linux

Tristan Sloughter tristan.sloughter at gmail.com
Wed Jan 1 11:48:28 MST 2014

It would be donated labor if it wasn't something also expected of
someone in order to get a job...

I don't know why you are asking me questions you know the answer to,
hehe. I'm sure you know gnu.org has licenses listed and which aren't
compatible, some of which like the APSL are certified by the OSI as open
source.

And yes, the OSS movement convinced many companies that making their
code open source is beneficial to them. Which is a great thing to have,
but doesn't negate everything else.

I'm not sure what you mean regarding a change from free software to open
source, since 'free' never had the same boom as 'open'. But 'open', such
as BSD, allow for changes to be closed off. And 'open' has come to be
used all over for services and government, to give an illusion of
freedom.