[Marxism] The Islamist Enemy of Our Islamist Enemy

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Jan 1 19:52:15 MST 2014

The experience of being exiled from his own country by foreign Jihadists
has left Abu Muhannad as livid at ISIS as he is at the Syrian regime.

"They have these disgusting, smelly beards. They won't even comb their
hair. If I knew the revolution would bring them here, I swear I would
never have participated in it," he said. "Did I rebel against the regime
to end up in hiding? And who am I running away from? Chechens? European
fanatics? Who are those people? They have overstayed their welcome."

With the Supreme Military Council, the Turkey-based military opposition
body, failing to secure significant funding for the Free Syrian Army,
the mainstream rebel group has been growing weaker by the day.

Abu Muhannad, like many disillusioned fighters, is now placing his bet
on the new Islamic Front. The new alliance was announced in November,
and has become the largest rebel force in Syria by merging together
seven influential Islamist groups, including the Salafist Ahrar al-Sham
brigade; the Army of Islam, which is prominent in the Damascus suburbs;
and the Aleppo-based Al-Tawheed brigade. Abu Muhannad says its leaders
have been household names since the beginning of the uprising, and its
fighters were brothers-in-arms when the FSA was still a fledgling
enterprise. The group notably excludes al Qaeda's two affiliates in
Syria, and may be an attempt by one of the rebels' primary patrons,
Saudi Arabia, to check the influence of ISIS.

full:
http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2013/12/31/the_rise_of_syrias_islamic_front_al_qaeda