[Marxism] Will Boeing Workers Nix Givebacks in Forced Re-vote? | Labor Notes

Jon Flanders jonathan.flanders at verizon.net
Wed Jan 1 20:33:30 MST 2014

On 01/01/2014 12:34 PM, Louis Proyect wrote:

> http://labornotes.org/2013/12/will-boeing-workers-nix-givebacks-forced-re-vote
>

> An article by Jim Leavitt. I knew Leavitt back in 1978 when I was in
> the Kansas City branch of the SWP

I envy Leavitt. This outbreak of class struggle in the IAM takes place
right after I retired! Upheaval at Boeing and a Department of Labor
order to redo the last election for international officers, which as it
happens are intertwined, with the Boeing workers getting the support of
opposition candidate Jay Cronk, who I know, since he comes of the rail
district.

Retirees in the IAM can vote in elections for international officers,
something which I plan to take advantage of.

The Boeing workers have the advantage of working not for some struggling
auto maker, but a profit laden company overwhelmed with orders for a
product which the general public has to worry about when they fly. The
rank and file at Boeing also have a history of making the term "Fighting
Machinists" more than a slogan at a Vegas IAM convention.

So if there is a chance at all to turn around the long retreat of labor
with some class struggle politics, Boeing is as favorable a place as we
could find.

You can get a good sense of the workers mood at this Facebook site.
https://www.facebook.com/rosiesmachinists751

There will be a big Vote NO rally tomorrow, the second vote on the
contract re-opener will be on Friday. Its something to watch and learn from.

Jon Flanders