[Marxism] John Ford's influence on the Beatles

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Jan 2 15:30:03 MST 2014

 From Glenn Frankel’s “The Searchers: The Making of an American Legend”:

What none of the critics, positive or negative, grasped was that The
Searchers was a different kind of Western, something much darker and
more disturbing than the usual fare. No one seemed to see Ethan Edwards
as anything less than a standard-issue John Wayne action hero. Ethan's
racism, his mania, and his bloodlust all passed by without comment.
"Racism was so endemic in our culture that people didn't even notice
it," said Joseph McBride. "They treated Wayne as a conventional Western
hero. Not one person got it."

Still, Ethan was a memorable character. Buddy Holly and his drummer,
Jerry Allison, saw The Searchers when it first opened at the State
Theater in Lubbock, Texas—the heart of what had once been Comancheria.
They came out and wrote "That'll Be the Day"—a phrase Ethan Edwards
utters four times during the film—which became a number one hit in the
fall of 1957. It later became the first demo recorded by a Liverpool
group known as the Quarrymen, who later renamed them-selves the Beatles.
Another first-rate Liverpool band called themselves the Searchers after
the film.

The British film critic Lindsay Anderson, a longtime champion of Ford's
work who was beginning to direct his own movies, disliked the film.
Anderson felt Ford had abandoned his trademark optimistic celebration of
the American spirit for something darker and more unsavory. Ethan
Edwards was "an unmistakable neurotic," complained Anderson. "Now what
is Ford, or all directors, to do with a hero like this?"

Others felt inspired. Jean-Luc Godard, the French New Wave critic and
director, said he wept at the end of the film, overwhelmed by the
"mystery and fascination of this American cinema." Although a committed
leftist, Godard asked of himself almost plaintively, "How can I hate
John Wayne upholding [Barry] Goldwater and yet love him tenderly when,
abruptly, he takes Natalie Wood into his arms in the last reel of The
Searchers?"

When the film failed to get any Academy Award nominations or other
honors, Wayne pronounced himself mystified. "You know, I just don't
understand why that film wasn't better received," he told one
interviewer. Speaking of Ford, he added, "I think it is his best
Western." Wayne was so impressed with the film, and with his character,
that he named a son, born in 1962, John Ethan Wayne.

"Ethan Edwards," Wayne declared, "was probably the most fascinating
character I ever played in a John Ford Western."