[Marxism] More History & Thoughts on Open Source Software & Linux

Clay Claiborne clayclai at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 09:30:58 MST 2014

Here's another clue as to why "open source software" succeed to do what
RMS's "free software" didn't.

>From the home page of ESR's website:

> If you're looking for the Halloween Documents, they're here<http://www.catb.org/esr/halloween/>.
> Having studied the history of other advocacy organizations, I specifically
> designed OSI not to be a founder-centered cult of personality; I think
> OSI's decision to move them off the OSI website was a mistake, but our
> community is healthier because they had the power to make that mistake.

As to why he is "gun totting" you might want to read:

Why I Am An Anarchist <http://www.catb.org/esr/writings/anarchist.html>

The Founding Fathers of the United States thought they had found a way to
> successfully head off the degeneration of governments into pathological
> monstrosities: ensure that the people remain armed, and teach them that it
> is part of their duty as free citizens to check the arrogance of government
> — by threat of armed revolt or by actual revolution, if need be. Thomas
> Jefferson would have asked why the Jews and Gypsies of Germany allowed
> themselves to be disarmed by Nazi gun-confiscation laws without rising in
> revolt — and, more pointedly, why the soi-disant civilized nations of the
> world did not see the confiscation of civilian weapons as a sure harbinger
> of the Holocaust to come.
>
> But, in the event, they were disarmed, and thus they had no recourse when
> the stormtroopers came to put them on the death trains. The fatal
> instability of constitutional democracy killed over twelve million people.
> And I see nothing intrinsic in the American system to prevent a future
> Holocaust. Especially not when many Americans seem bent on disarming their
> neighbors, and dismantling the very check that Jefferson and the other
> Founders were attempting to build into our system with the plain words of
> the Second Amendment to the Constitution.
>
> I am left with the bleak conclusion that *no* attempt to hold the
> arrogance of government in check will work — because a majority of the
> people themselves are too easily seduced into abandoning their own
> institutional protections against tyranny by the false promises and
> poisonous dreams of statist propaganda.
>
> That is why I am an anarchist.

Clay Claiborne, Director
Linux Beach Productions