[Marxism] The Confidence Men » CounterPunch: Tells the Facts, Names the Names

Sheldon Ranz sranz18 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 15:34:05 MST 2014

Whoever said that American Hustle does not address the racism of the name
'Abscam' is incorrect.

In one scene, the Mexican FBI agent impersonating the sheikh complains to
the Christian Bale character about the name of the operation: "Abscam? Arab
scam.  That's racist!"  Bale looks at him and says, "I don't believe this.
What do you care?  You're Mexican!"  The scene is pitched in part as a
laugh line, in part as a criticism of the Bale character that he doesn't
see the big picture of what he's unleashing.

Sheldon