[Marxism] Old Dog; Old Partner | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Jan 4 13:32:41 MST 2014

Now that I have gotten through the “prestige” Hollywood movies the
studio sent me in November and December, I can finally get back to the
kind of movie that I really care about—the leftwing documentary or the
narrative film made in some peripheral nation on a shoestring budget
featuring a non-professional cast. When I took one look at the back of
the DVD for “Old Dog”, I knew I was back on native ground:

"When a young man notices several thefts of mastiffs from Tibetan farm
families, he decides to sell his family’s dog before it is stolen and
sold on the black market. His father, an aging Tibetan herder, is
furious when he discovers their dog missing. When the father seeks to
buy the dog back, it leads to a series of tragicomic events that
threaten to tear the family apart, while showing the erosion of Tibetan
culture under the pressures of contemporary society."

Ah, just my kind of film. Given the theme, I was willing to cut the film
a lot more slack than something like “Inside Llewyn Davis”. Fortunately,
the film succeeded just as much as art as it did as social commentary.

full: http://louisproyect.org/2014/01/04/old-dog-old-partner/