[Marxism] More History & Thoughts on Open Source Software & Linux

Clay Claiborne clayclai at gmail.com
Sat Jan 4 19:52:28 MST 2014

On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 10:55 PM, David P Á <david at miradoiro.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately I am not new to the particular form of crazy that ESR is
> into. Most charming is his defence of patriarchy on spurius
> sociobiological grounds, on posts like "Reconsidering sexual repression"
> at http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=3768
> This together with his obsessive gun nuttery don't exactly make me
> happy, though I'm fortunately geographically well away. How anyone on
> the left can get along with the reactionary shit is beyond me, and I've
> said as much as I intended to about it.
>
> --David.

Seeing how you feel about ESR, you probably really despised Malcolm X, a
Muslim cleric with all the reactionary views that implies, a womaniser who
was often pictured with a gun in his hands. This is what he had to say
about women:

*Malcolm X on women & marriage*

> "As a young minister I wouldn’t have considered it possible for me to love
> any woman. I had too much experience that women were only tricky,
> deceitful, untrustworthy flesh. I had seen too many men ruined or tied
> down, or in some other way messed up by women. Women talk too much, and to
> tell a woman not to talk too much, would be like telling Jesse James not to
> carry a gun, or telling a hen not to cackle. Can you imagine Jesse James
> without a gun, or a hen that didn’t cackle, and for anyone in leadership or
> position as I am. The worst thing in the world that a man could have, is
> the wrong woman. Samson was destroyed by the woman that slept in his arms.
> It had been 10 years since I thought anything about a woman or a mistress,
> and as a minister now I was thinking even less about getting a wife------"

But unlike you, I don't make Marxist "political correctness" or anybody's
"political correctness" a reason for denying an individual, or a groups,
contributions to the revolutionary movement. Malcolm X has made important
contributions to this in spite of his backwards views on a range of
subjects and so has ESR.

Lenin used poison gas to put down a peasant revolt. Are you prepared to
write him off too?

Nobody's prefect, meaning anybody can play the sort of games you are
playing here, nitpicking selected quotes to condemn a body work work that,
on the whole, has moved humanity forward.

Nobody's perfect, meaning revolutions are made by imperfect people.

Clay Claiborne, Director
Linux Beach Productions
Venice, CA 90291
(310) 581-1536