[Marxism] Russell Jacoby reviews the New York Review of Books

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Jan 6 06:47:04 MST 2014

The expansion of the NYRB pool of writers brings us to the nub of the
matter. Who over the years has the magazine tapped or nurtured? This
subject requires not simply a disclosure alert but a disclosure siren.
My own 1987 book, The Last Intellectuals, dedicated some pages to
assessing the NYRB. While stating that it "buzzed with energy" during
its first decade, I argued it had since become a closed and graying shop
relying too much on British professors. "While it continues to publish
serious and sometimes provocative pieces," I wrote, "reading The New
York Review summons up Oxford teas rather than New York delis." I
concluded that the NYRB had a deplorable record of enlisting younger
American intellectuals. "For a quarter century it withdrew from the
cultural bank without making any investments."

Mr. Silvers was not pleased—or so I was told. An NYRB office assistant
whom I encountered at a social gathering intimated to me that my name
was mud over there and that I would not appear in its pages. That proved
accurate. While my first book had been reviewed and my name had
occasionally surfaced in other reviews, from that point to the
present—25 years—I vanished entirely from the NYRB. Was this cause and
effect? Reminder memo to authors who speak truth to power: Do not speak
truth to book-review editors. But I have no evidence of a lockout, only
suspicions.

full: http://chronicle.com/article/The-Graying-of-the-NYRB/143759/