[Marxism] [SWT] Guaranteed jobs reduced hours

Peggy Dobbins pegdobbins at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 21:41:03 MST 2014

Yes Mahi, I agree.  Living wage has caught on. (segued to raising minimum)Reducing hours hasn't.  Even Guaranteed jobs is catching on faster, thanks probably mostly to persistence of John Conyers' introducing a bill every year.
Something I hate to bring up because it takes us further from closure on a simple phrase for reducing the hours required to earn a living wage:

People -- ranging from UBS's biennial Prices and Earnings in 72 Cities to Stewart (AFL VP for organizing)and the students who worked with the economist Sr ruth Rosenbaum who gathered the data on prices of necessities in a maquiladora border town to begin making the case for using the term "living wage" -- have taken to referring to "working time required to buy". This confuses,obfuscates, distracts from, and finally supplants the term  labor time embedded in, and thence that the exchange value of any commodity (& commoditized service) reduces to the necessary, or world average,  labor TIME in it at the TIME it is exchanged for money.  This of course changes as productivity develops unevenly and market prices continue to be manipulated by more than invisible clean hands.   But I believe it is in that confusion --between working time required to buy and labor time contained within --that the good intentions of progressive economists go awry. I learned, actually from Lani Guinier's brief against the Mobile School district, to judge by effect rather than intent, and not only because one can lie to oneself as well as others about one's intentions.

I tried to raise the "working time to buy" versus "labor time to make (and sell) with the art piece
<international-behind-the-barcode.org>.

Peggy