[Marxism] Frankenpolitics: The Left defence of GMOs

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Jan 9 06:39:04 MST 2014

On 1/9/14 2:31 AM, Leigh Phillips wrote:
> 4) As far as my not dealing with Bellamy Foster's 'metabolic rift' concept,
> I absolutely concede that I did not. I also did not discuss the expanding
> dialogue between indie music and the R&B scene over the last three years in
> the guise of such genre-defying artists as Janelle Monae and Dirty
> Projectors. But what does this have to do with the price of tea in China?

I would think that John Foster Bellamy's writings have much more of a
bearing on GM than Janelle Monae. The whole point is that pretty much
all fixes since the introduction of nitrogen based fertilizers have
simply created new contradictions and looming disasters (look at the
dead zone in the Gulf of Mexico) as long as agriculture is a
commodity-producing enterprise based on monoculture. I urge comrades to
read Fred Magdoff, who was Harry's son and is a professor emeritus of
agronomy. Here's a good place to start:

http://monthlyreview.org/2012/01/01/food-as-a-commodity