[Marxism] Reading Melville in Post-9/11 America | The Nation

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Jan 9 11:45:35 MST 2014

Herman Melville didn’t know that the West African slaves who inspired
him to write his other, half-forgotten masterpiece, Benito Cereno, were
Muslim. And when I first learned that they were, I didn’t think it more
than a curiosity. I was, after all, planning to use the true incident
behind the Melville story to open onto a larger history of freedom and
slavery during the Age of Revolution, to which Islam seemed incidental.

But the more research I did, the more the importance of Islam revealed
itself—and not just to the historical events Melville fictionalized. No
one knows how many Muslims were among the 12.5 million Africans brought
in chains across the Atlantic. Some scholars estimate as many as 10
percent. For centuries, they served as something like the New World’s
secret sharers, its covert operators, a key but largely unacknowledged
element in the making of what the historian Edmund Morgan, decades ago,
called the defining “paradox” of American history: the paradox of
freedom and slavery.

full:
http://www.thenation.com/article/177825/reading-melville-post-911-america