[Marxism] Hegel : 'hopeless baggage'?

dave x dave.xx at gmail.com
Fri Jan 10 00:35:56 MST 2014

Marx's words are not holy writ on on stone tablets. Marx began, and advised
others to begin with the criticism of religion, something he certainly
never forgot and his attachment to Hegel should be understood at least
partially in that light. It is a spirit completely at odds with the sort of
veneration with which Marxists have so often approached his work and and by
holy proxy, Hegel's. Marx took the best from what he found around him, the
latest science, the latest scientific philosophy, in a critical and
inquiring spirit. Those who wish to have real fidelity to his project
should do the same.

Marx criticized the facile and confused positivism of Comte, who wanted to
set up science as a sort of religion. It should be noted that modern
postivism doesn't really start until much later with Ernst Mach, whose
writings heavily influenced many in German social democracy and the second
international. In any case I am not a positivist but a post-Quinean
naturalist, the dual well springs of which are American
naturalism/pragmatism ala Dewey, Roy Wood Sellars, the early Sidney Hook,
and many others and the unorthodox marxist Otto Neurath, one of the leaders
of the Vienna Circle and who broke with Machian positivism in the mid
thirties in favor of a form of naturalism. I recommend the book 'Otto
Neurath: Philosophy Between Science and Politics' edited by Nancy
Cartwright if you are curious.

"
*We are like sailors who on the open sea must reconstruct their ship but
are never able to start afresh from the bottom. Where a beam is taken away
a new one must at once be put there, and for this the rest of the ship is
used as support. In this way, by using the old beams and driftwood the ship
can be shaped entirely anew, but only by gradual reconstruction."*

*- Otto Neurath, quoted in Quine's Word and Object*

*"The task of philosophy is to become scientific."*

*- Immanuel Kant, from Prolegomena to Any Future Metaphysics*