[Marxism] The end of Palestine?

Glenn Kissack gkissack at nyc.rr.com
Sat Jan 11 12:32:29 MST 2014

Marv, thanks for posting the interview with Finkelstein. I would have missed it otherwise. It’s the most depressing analysis I’ve read in a while!

When I was teaching at Hunter College High School and Norm was teaching at Hunter College, I invited him to give a talk to a club that I was advising called Progressive Forum. He gave a wonderful talk. Some pro-Israeli teachers came, but hadn’t done their homework so they were incapable of responding to his encyclopedic knowledge of the issue. One lamely read a section of a negative NY Times review of his book on the Holocaust Industry.

Norm answered calmly and rationally. The students were very impressed, even the ones sympathetic to Israel.

I have found that Finkelstein can be a bit inconsistent. A few years ago I heard him speak at the Judson Church, where he surprised everyone by saying the Israeli Lobby was growing weaker and the Palestinians were winning. Now he seems to be saying that the other side will get what they want. I also don’t quite get this dismissal of BDS. Maybe someone else can explain.

Glenn