[Marxism] The End of Palestine? An interview with Norman Finkelstein

Patrick Bond pbond at mail.ngo.za
Sat Jan 11 15:38:42 MST 2014

> http://www.newleftproject.org/index.php/site/article_comments/the_end_of_palestine_an_interview_with_norman_g._finkelstein

Norman's sharp analytical capacity is always impressive, but the tone is
worrisome. Sure there are a variety of problems in the struggle at this
stage - yet mostly they seem familiar.

Personally, I was inspired the last few days, in Ramallah mainly at
Birzeit University, by the continuing will of so many of historical
Palestine's oppressed people, and of Abbas' declining credibility
(especially after dissing BDS), much much more than Norman's interview
concedes.

For example, have we seen anything like this week's defense of villages
carried out by brave Palestinian youth against fascist settlers before?
http://www.haaretz.com/news/national/.premium-1.567492

Have we seen the extraordinary new stage of Boycott Divestment Sanctions
(begun in 2005), which in Holland now stretches to a $200 bn pension
fund's delinking from Israeli banks because of the illegal West Bank
Occupation? (It was after 25 years of campaigning, in 1985, that the
anti-apartheid banking campaign hit critical mass and decisively wrecked
the SA economy - with BDS founder Omar Barghouti recently recalling the
parallels:
http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2013/12/bds-campaign-against-israel-reaching-turning-point-201312225320764121.html
and
http://electronicintifada.net/blogs/ali-abunimah/israel-boycott-growing-much-faster-south-africa-campaign-says-omar-barghouti
)

Have we seen such Israeli leadership panic as this last week?
http://electronicintifada.net/blogs/ali-abunimah/boycott-greatest-threat-facing-israel-leaders-say
and
http://electronicintifada.net/blogs/ali-abunimah/growing-boycott-will-hit-each-us-pocket-warns-israel-finance-minister

And have we seen African refugees in Israel repeatedly mass for protests
in their tens of thousands, ever?
http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=74&jumival=11289

So instead of cynicism about the future, I think we would want to take
Norman's warning about Kerry's re-bantustanization strategy very
seriously along with the point that the Palestinian Authority is
cash-crunched (having recently lost a majority of its international
'donor' subsidies and other revenues) and liable to sell out even more.

No surprise; just a renewed mandate to campaign harder and generate new
waves of solidarity.

Indeed, can one ever imagine that the Palestinians' struggle for justice
will fizzle out, if the right of return continues to be denied to
millions of descendants of those who were dispossessed in 1948, and if
the Jordan Valley continues to be occupied by the Israeli
agri-military-settler complex while groups like Save the Jordan Valley
continue to exist, hence to resist?
(http://www.jordanvalleysolidarity.org/index.php/reports-videos/reports-2010/174-to-exist-is-to-resist-save-the-jordan-valley)

Isn't this an excellent opportunity, with so many inklings of dawn for
activists, to revive optimism of the will and light more BDS fires and
other solidaristic actions?

Thinking back, the settler-colonial regime led by PW Botha appeared
invincible in mid-1985, after wiping out activists and imposing a state
of emergency; but suddenly with very little warning, the rapidly
declining legitimacy of the apartheid state, the durable internal
protests and the financial sanctions squeeze came together in a
formidable way, and in eight quick years after that August 1985 crisis,
Mandela's negotiating team achieved their core demand - one-person,
one-vote in a unitary state - and in April 1994 won the first election
under a political democracy. No one thought that possible a decade
earlier, no one. Take heart!