[Marxism] Striking Cambodian garment workers killed in brutal repression: interview, photos and video

Andrew Pollack acpollack2 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 07:03:32 MST 2014

700,000! I checked other sources to make sure an extra zero hadn't been
accidentally typed, and while the others say 5 or 6 hundred thousand we're
clearly talking the same huge ballpark.

I have to do the same check every time I see figures quoted for Foxconn,
which has between 250,000 and 500,000 in ONE factory in China. ONE!!!

None of this is to in any way underestimate the continuing salience of
workers' struggles in the US (think Boeing, fast-food/low-wage immigrants,
trucking (given a huge boost by online shopping) nurses, teachers, and on
and on.

But it IS to tell the theorists of "precarity" and their ilk that they need
to rethink their "new" theories.