[Marxism] Three new posts on Syria from Linux Beach

Clay Claiborne clayclai at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 20:55:46 MST 2014

Here are the results of my last three days of scribbling:

      Re-examing ex-journalist Robert Fisk on the "Syrian Rebels"
      <http://claysbeach.blogspot.com/2014/01/re-examing-ex-journalist-robert-fisk-on.html>

> Now that the singularity of the Syrian /"rebels,"/ meaning the
> illusion that every fighting unit not openly allied
> <http://claysbeach.blogspot.com/2014/01/bashar-al-jihad-is-isis-child-of-regime.html>
> with the Assad Regime could be lumped together under one meaningful
> label, has been sweep away forever by the fierce struggle
> <http://www.petercliffordonline.com/syria-news-3> now going on between
> the Islamic State of Iraq and al Sham [ISIS] and just about everyone
> else fighting Assad, we can begin to examine not only how that
> illusion has been promoted but also how it has been used as a very
> powerful rhetorical tool against the Syrian Revolution. To illustrate
> my point I'd like to examine an earlier article by ex-journalist
> Robert Fisk written just this August after he'd had time to become a
> seasoned propagandist for Bashar al-Assad. Its the perfect article to
> show how this singularity of /"the rebels"/ has been a useful tool for
> the Assad propagandists because without it the whole premise of this
> Robert Fisk attack
> <http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/does-obama-know-hes-fighting-on-alqaidas-side-8786680.html>
> on the revolution doesn't even get past a reading of The Independent
> headline:

*More...*
<http://claysbeach.blogspot.com/2014/01/re-examing-ex-journalist-robert-fisk-on.html>

      Did Syrian rebel who ate his enemy's heart have PTSD?
      <http://claysbeach.blogspot.com/2014/01/did-syrian-rebel-who-ate-his-enemys.html>

> The most damning image of Assad's opposition in 2013 was that of a FSA
> commander cutting an organ out of the body of a dead enemy soldier and
> taking a bite out of it.That soldier's name was Abu Sakka, made famous
> by a video of him cutting an organ of out of a fallen SAA soldier's
> body and holding it up to his lips and saying /"We will eat your
> hearts and your livers you soldiers of Bashar the dog."/
>
> What he did was incredibly damaging to the cause he claimed to be
> fighting for, and was a great propaganda victory for those he claimed
> to oppose. The Assad Regime can't stop talking about it, even Putin
> warned <http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/16/world/meast/syria-civil-war/>
> against arming /"organ-eating Syrian rebels."/ Because it connects
> with our deep psychological fascination with cannibalism, it is the
> story that won't die, and it is the one outrage that is most often
> used to tarnish and condemn all those fighting to overthrow the Assad
> Regime.

*More ...*
<http://claysbeach.blogspot.com/2014/01/did-syrian-rebel-who-ate-his-enemys.html>

      ICUJP on Syria
      <http://claysbeach.blogspot.com/2014/01/icujp-on-syria.html>

> Saturday, 11 January 2013 hosted two events that should have been of
> interest to the peace and justice community, *Close Guantanamo Now*,
> sponsored by *Interfaith Communities United for Justice and Peace*,
> and , initiated by the *Syrian American Council*.
*More...* <http://claysbeach.blogspot.com/2014/01/icujp-on-syria.html>

Here are some pictures from the *Global Day of Solidarity with Syria*,
and this link <http://www.flickr.com/photos/114209827@N08/> leads to
hundreds more.  There were protests in 44 cities across 23 countries and
3 continents.

[no photos on Marxist list]

In Solidarity,

Clay