[Marxism] West has discussed co-operation with Syria, Damascus claims | World news | theguardian.com

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Jan 15 12:43:24 MST 2014

On 1/15/14 8:07 AM, Louis Proyect wrote:

> http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jan/15/western-security-servies-cooperation-syria-claims

Richard Estes had these thoughts on the article:

While one can quibble with certain factual aspects of the article, I
tend to believe in the overall thrust of it.  With the Iranian nuclear
program agreement, and increasing concern over Saudi and Israeli
provocations in the US and the EU, I suspect that there is an effort by
countries that have rhetorically supported the resistance to Assad to
slowly extricate themselves.

As usual, I wonder what memoirs and the release of records from the
archives will reveal.  My cynical belief is that the US and the EU were
most fearful of a successful democratic rebellion in Syria, and
thereafter allowed it to be undermined by the Gulf States.  In Iran, the
US and the EU feared a similar outcome, so they decided  to accommodate
themselves to a weakened Assad and a foreign investment friendly regime
in Tehran. With Rouhani opening the doors to foreign investment, the US
and the EU no longer have any need for the Green Revolution.

In Syria and Iran, the populace may find themselves in a situation
analogous to people in a place like Colombia, subject to domestic
repression in a purportedly democratic system because the regimes have
agreed to allow the G-20 countries to economically exploit them.