[Marxism] Pacifica network fifth column on board of directors (from FB)

Marv Gandall marvgand2 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 15:06:50 MST 2014

On Jan 15, 2014, at 3:30 PM, "Jeff" <meisner at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> I just want to point out that "anarchism" does not very well apply to the
> left-right convergence involved in the Pacifica struggle, or more
> generally involving such issues where there is more than a superficial
> concurrence between a section of the far right and far left. Or more
> specifically, although I'm not there to witness it, I really doubt there
> are many people calling themselves "anarchists" who'd be taken in by the
> sort of appeal referred to above. Of course the field of "anarchists" is
> at least as wide as those calling themselves "Marxist," so this isn't an
> absolute statement, but I find that among activists, those sporting the
> "anarchist" label are much less likely to be fooled into cooperation with
> the right wing than many other leftists

I agree with your extended commentary, Jeff. I mainly had in mind not the street activists but the various students, professors, and other dissenting intellectuals I've come across over the years who self-identified as "philosophical anarchists", often to distinguish themselves from that tradition's bomb-throwers  and "authoritarian" Marxism. You suggest otherwise, but wouldn't there likely be a fair sprinkling of such gentle anarchists among the "gullible left leaning" Pacifica listeners described in the letter?