[Marxism] On The End of My Adjunct Teaching Career

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Jan 16 06:52:29 MST 2014

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2014/01/16/why-one-adjunct-gave-college-teaching-and-created-his-own-business

On The End of My Adjunct Teaching Career
January 1, 2014 By Daniel Fincke

Over the last eleven years, from January 2003 until December 2013, I
taught 22 consecutive semesters and two summer sessions of philosophy
classes. I have taught an estimated 2,500 university students over the
course of 93.5 classes at 7 universities (Fordham University, William
Paterson University, St. John’s University, Fairfield University,
Hofstra University, Hunter College City University of New York, City
College City University of New York), spread across 9 campuses, 4 bodies
of land, and 3 states. I have taught Introduction to Ethics, Moral
Philosophy, Contemporary Issues in Ethics, Philosophy of Religion,
Ancient Philosophy, Ancient and Medieval Philosophy, Modern Philosophy
to the Present, Business Ethics, Philosophy of Human Nature, and
Introduction to Philosophy. In one semester I taught 9 sections of
philosophy at 5 universities (spread across three states) to set a
personal record.

I have had semesters where I have woken at 4:30am to commute from my
Manhattan apartment to Connecticut, only to commute four hours at midday
to either Long Island or New Jersey for an evening class, and not arrive
home until as late as 11:30pm. I have worked 6 day weeks. And in the
spring of 2013, ran a 7 day a week schedule after I added to my 8
university classes 4 self-run online, interactive classes held through
video conferencing. I have done all of this teaching while either
researching and writing a doctoral dissertation and/or churning out
thousands of philosophical words a month on this blog. For all these
efforts, I have been paid between merely $2,500-$4,200 per section of
Philosophy, with no health insurance or retirement benefits or any other
such alternate forms of compensation (while each class I taught
generated $35,000-$105,000 in revenue to the universities).

(clip)