[Marxism] Why Seymour Hersh has it wrong this time

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Jan 16 07:39:15 MST 2014

The most damaging assertion made by Mr. Hersh is his insinuation that
the insurgent group Jabhat al-Nusra may have been responsible for the
chemical attacks. As a life-long professional in defense against
chemical weapons, it seems increasingly improbable to me that a
non-state actor, Nusra or otherwise, perpetrated the sarin attack on
8/21.  Even if Nusra has an individual who might understand the science
of how sarin is be made, there is a wide gulf between understanding the
basic chemistry and perpetrating the 8/21 attacks.

Mr. Hersh patently ignores the practical barriers to al-Nusra, or any
other Syrian non-state faction for that matter, producing enough sarin
to have done the 8/21 attacks.  A large, but still indeterminate number
of people (Hersh is right to point out discrepancies in the fatality
figures) over a large area were killed or injured.  The practical
reality of chemical warfare is that it is far less efficient, in terms
of amount of material required, than most laymen understand.  Numerous
casualties over a large area require a large amount of material.  A lot
of sarin was used.  My own attempts to apply Cold War-era methodologies
to reverse-engineer the attack gave me a rough range of sarin from 370
kg to 4400 kg of sarin.  Although my methods are too lengthy to state
here, my best guess is that the real answer is somewhere in the middle
of this range, perhaps a ton.  The current total of "Volcano" rockets so
far discovered is eight, giving a yield of perhaps 400-420 kg of sarin,
well within this range.

Mr. Hersh seems unaware of just how hard accumulating a ton of sarin
might be. It can’t be summarily waved away as he does by saying (I
paraphrase) that “Nusra has a guy who knows how to do it.”  A ton of
sarin is no easy undertaking for anyone to manufacture, regardless of
expertise or access to precursors.  Sarin manufacture, as I pointed out
in various places, is complex and can’t be done in a kitchen or bathtub,
and certainly not in the quantities needed for the 8/21 attack.  To put
it into proper perspective, in 1994-1995 the Aum Shinrikyo cult in Japan
built a purpose-built facility, spent many millions, and had a number of
chemists and engineers.  (Amy Smithson describes the Aum operation quite
well in her book, “Ataxi.”)  But the best that Aum could do, despite
mastering the mechanics of the process, was to produce bucket-sized
quantities.  To produce at the scale required for the 8/21 attack, a
large, sophisticated, and very expensive factory-scale facility is
needed.  By hinting that Nusra performed the attack, he implies the
presence of such a factory somewhere.  Where is it?   Sarin doesn’t get
conjured up out of nothing.

full:
https://now.mmedia.me/lb/en/commentaryanalysis/524969-524969-why-seymour-hersh-has-it-wrong-this-time