[Marxism] Robert Redford on Oscar snub: “Hollywood is what it is. It’s a business” - Salon.com

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Jan 17 07:35:46 MST 2014

“All Is Lost,” which depicts an unnamed man fighting to stay alive while
stranded at sea — without dialogue, voiceovers or special effects — in a
way epitomizes Sundance and its importance to American film. The bold
film was directed by J.C. Chandor, whose movie “Margin Call” debuted at
Sundance in 2011. Calling it a “pure cinematic experience,” Redford saw
it as “stripped down of elements that are in most films.” This is the
type of film that Sundance can help create, even if mainstream America
doesn’t consume it.

“Hollywood is what it is. It’s a business,” Redford stated, describing
movie campaigning and voting as a process that can “get political.”
According to Redford, “All Is Lost” didn’t have a campaign to help it
“cross over into the mainstream.”

“I was so happy to be able to do this film because it was independent,”
he said. “I will stay happy about it, the rest is not my business. It’s
someone else’s business.”

full:
http://www.salon.com/2014/01/16/robert_redford_on_oscar_snub_hollywood_is_what_it_is_it%e2%80%99s_a_business/