[Marxism] Revolutionary Left Current in Syria

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Jan 17 08:24:11 MST 2014

On 1/17/14 10:03 AM, Ron Jacobs wrote:
> Not certain who this represents, but it's slightly hopeful...and will never
> be intentionally supported by Washington
>
> http://syriafreedomforever.wordpress.com/2014/01/17/the-enemies-of-the-popular-revolution-the-dictatorial-regime-and-the-counter-revolutionary-reactionary-force/

If there's one thing positive that can come out of this terrible tragedy
in Syria as well as the disappointments in the rest of the region, it is
the connections being made between Arab and North African leftists, many
of who are anarchists of the best kind, and leftists in the imperial
nations.

The Middle East and North Africa will never be the same. Just 10 minutes
ago I read this item in the latest Harper's:

Now You Sisi
By Ahmed Ould Meiloud

 From a video of senior Egyptian army officers at a meeting held by
General Abdul-Fattah el-Sisi, leaked last October by the Islamist
website Rassd News Network; the meeting is thought to have occurred
around the time of the December 2012 constitutional referendum, seven
months before the coup that deposed President Mohamed Morsi. Omar is an
officer identified only by his first name. El-Sisi, then minister of
defense, was appointed first deputy prime minister last August.
Translated from the Arabic by Ahmed Ould Meiloud.

OMAR: You know the armed forces in any country are the main pillar of
national security.

GENERAL ABDUL-FATTAH EL-SISI: True!

OMAR: In any one of these countries there exist red lines protecting
this entity from the media.

SISI: True!

OMAR: We have enjoyed these protections for the past fifty years. The
situation was stable. But because of the revolution, and as a result of
the chaos, these lines unfortunately got blurred. The people became
emboldened and the media became especially brazen in its attacks on us,
on the ground that we got involved in the political process. Now that we
have stepped out of politics and come back to our barracks, we need Your
Excellency to reemphasize these red lines in a more advanced fashion —
in a way different from under the old regime. I don’t think we can now
prevent anyone from talking. We need a new method to deal with the media
or to bring it to our side, defining new red lines on a respectable and
pragmatic basis. In my view, the media in Egypt is all dominated by
twenty to twenty-five individuals. We can establish with these
individuals some sort of dialogue or negotiation in a way that allows us
to entice or intimidate them.

SISI: I know the entice part, but you need to explain to me how to
intimidate.

OMAR: It is important for most of these people to be cooperative with
the armed forces or to meet with the spokesperson of the armed forces.
At the same time, waving the red card indicates to these people, even if
they don’t fully cooperate, there is some pressure, thus forcing them to
exercise self-censorship. We need a team to work with these people in
secret on an individual basis. When these people are meeting together
their language becomes markedly different from their language “behind
closed doors,” as the saying goes. Even if we bring to our side only ten
or twenty percent of them, that will be of great assistance to us. A
million posters on the streets saying “The army and the people act like
one hand” cannot compete with the message that a headline or an article
in a newspaper could effectively convey.

SISI: Omar, the situation that the revolution created has broken all the
restraints with respect not only to the army but to the entire state
apparatus. The country has been dismantled, and it is being reassembled
afresh. You live this situation and you will see its impact on you. You
will not be able to contain it fully and go back to the way you used to
live, the state where no one would ever mention your name.