[Marxism] John Stuart Mill on Ralph Waldo Emerson

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Jan 18 13:23:47 MST 2014

Harpers  December 2013
American Scolder

 From annotations written by John Stuart Mill on his personal copies of
the first editions of Ralph Waldo Emerson’s Essays, which were published
in two volumes, in 1841 and 1844. The notes were found by Frank
Prochaska at the John Stuart Mill Library at Somerville College, Oxford,
earlier this year.

---

What a boy this man is
All this is the philosophy of a youth and of youth only when educated in
the old traditions
When will people dare to give up the old religious nomenclature?
Nonsense — we don’t live for “beautiful” or any such child’s play
This is not love. Why use the same name for such different things
All which has nothing to do with “love”
Philosophy Bourgeois
intense galimatias
Speak for yourself
I reject the we
This we stands for foolish people
The we is foolish mock modesty
Much good drowned in many words
In plain English we can never know another as we know oneself
Fudge!
doggerel
Oh!
Oh! Oh!