[Marxism] Responses to the One-Sided New York Times Article of Jan. 13, 2014 | Save the CUNY Graduate Center for Worker Education

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Jan 19 08:09:28 MST 2014

As a graduate of the GCWE, and former student of Professor Wilson, I
serve as Chair of the Committee of Concerned Students, Alumni, Faculty,
and Staff – a group determined to assure the campus at 25 Broadway
remains dedicated to worker education.  I was disheartened to read
Monday’s article publicly airing unproven accusations with little
mention of what is the more important story of Brooklyn College’s
destruction of an internationally lauded worker education program. In my
experience, the GCWE provided an outstanding MA program that is
otherwise not available to non-traditional students in NYC.
Unfortunately, this article promulgates a false narrative without the
due diligence that would otherwise uncover a Brooklyn College
administration that left students and alumni of the GCWE unnecessarily
defending the merit of their degrees. In a larger social context this
shows how people of color, immigrants, single mothers, and the working
class are all too frequently denied access to higher education and
maligned in the process.

full: http://workereddefense.org/2014/01/18/responses-to-the-nyt/