[Marxism] Michael Simmons: When Is Film Art?

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Jan 19 17:12:26 MST 2014

Jean-Luc Godard once said, "The politics of a film is the budget of a
film." I worked on-set as a music supervisor for Hollywood movies and
saw the obscene millions spent on screenplays written by dullards and
vetted by committees of accountants whose bottom line was the bottom
line of profit. Experimentation, playfulness, risk-taking, all got in
the way of appealing to the largest possible audience. I've also wasted
much of my life writing screenplays, only to be told "flashbacks are so
'60s" and asked "why do we care about the leading man?" because I'd
crafted my characters to have layers and to live in the real world of
ambivalence and shades of morality.

full:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-simmons/when-is-film-art_b_91225.html