[Marxism] Two Pieces on the Siege of the Yarmouk Palestinian Refugee Camp

Clay Claiborne clayclai at gmail.com
Sun Jan 19 19:29:28 MST 2014

      How Not to Be in Solidarity with Palestinians Refugees in Yarmouk
      <http://claysbeach.blogspot.com/2014/01/how-not-to-be-in-solidarity-with.html>

By Omar Shaban

> The Syrian revolution is not an international conspiracy planned and
> constructed behind closed offices in Tel Aviv and Washington, it is an
> honorable revolution of a people who suffered from unbearable
> brutalities exacted upon it by a regime designed specifically to
> ensure unconditional subservience and zero dissent. This revolution,
> despite normal and regrettable setbacks that characterize any
> revolution, should not be castigated as yet another attempt by
> international conspirators intending to further destabilize the oil
> rich Arab World. And this revolution should not be used by the
> Palestinian left to score political points at the expense of the
> hundreds of thousands of Syrians who, for the past sixty years,
> provided their brothers and sisters with home and shelter.

*More....*
<http://claysbeach.blogspot.com/2014/01/how-not-to-be-in-solidarity-with.html>

      Mondoweiss: While you were neutral about Yarmouk
      <http://claysbeach.blogspot.com/2014/01/mondoweiss-while-you-were-neutral-about.html>

> While you were neutral about Yarmouk

> by Talal Alyan <http://mondoweiss.net/author/talal-alyan>
> While you were insisting on neutrality about Yarmouk, the Syrian
> regime dropped barrel bombs on it.
> <https://www.oximity.com/article/A-new-weapon-used-to-kill-Palestinians-1> Mohammad
> Al Far. Husam Abo Ahmad. Mohammad Tafori. Mohammad Suhaib Al Qides.
> Ala'a Fri'j. These men are all dead. Mohammad Taha would later die too
> when he, along with a larger demonstration, approached a regime
> checkpoint in frustration after the carnage rained on them from above.
>
> The Pro-Palestinian movement was delayed in picking up on the tragic
> unraveling of Yarmouk. It took the work of a great deal of dedicated
> activists to force it into the forefront of the solidarity movement's
> agenda. What couldn't be predicted, however, was that, in the place of
> silence, an ugly neutrality would hover over the new-founded concern.
> And that said the neutrality was often an unconvincing veil for
> something much more vile. Perhaps, in our naivety, we believe that
> when Yarmouk became visible, it would be nearly impossible to omit the
> clear fact that the siege was being imposed by the Syrian regime.
> Instead, it was the oppositional fighters in the camp who fell under
> the spotlight. A chorus emerged, one familiar enough to evoke a
> surreal sense of Déjà vu.

*More...*
<http://claysbeach.blogspot.com/2014/01/mondoweiss-while-you-were-neutral-about.html>

Bought to you by Linux Beach

Please help me focus on what really matters and continue to fill a
rather large gap left by Democracy Now and many others with much greater
fundraising wherewithal.

There are two ways you can donate:

  * Online using a credit card or PayPal
    <https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=9DFJYX368AEBQ>
    through a secure server.
  * By sending a check payable to Linux Beach directly to:
    Linux Beach
    116 Rose Ave., Ste. 9
    Venice, CA 90291

In Solidarity,