[Marxism] UN initiates social media campaign “Yarmouk: How much longer?”

Clay Claiborne clayclai at gmail.com
Sun Jan 19 22:50:39 MST 2014

This is what I'll be doing tomorrow to honor the memory of Dr. Martin
Luther King Jr.

      UN social media campaign urges end to Yarmouk camp’s plight
      <http://electronicintifada.net/blogs/ali-abunimah/un-social-media-campaign-urges-end-yarmouk-camps-plight>

> Several UN agencies and human rights groups are inviting the public to
> join a social media campaign to draw attention to the plight of
> thousands of civilians, including Syrians and Palestinians, besieged
> with no access to food or medical care in Yarmouk
> <http://electronicintifada.net/tags/yarmouk> camp in Damascus.
>
> “We represent a broad range of UN and other organizations … united by
> our horror at the pitiless conflict that is devastating civilian life
> in Yarmouk, Damascus, and throughout Syria,” the groups say
> <https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/8170-yarmouk-how-much-longer?locale=en>.
>
> The social media campaign “Yarmouk: How much longer?
> <https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/8170-yarmouk-how-much-longer?locale=en>”
> – which organizers hope will reach 23 million people – has been
> initiated by UNRWA <http://electronicintifada.net/tags/unrwa>, the UN
> agency for Palestine refugees, using the website Thunderclap.
>
> It aims to put pressure on all participants in the scheduled Geneva
> peace talks on Syria
> <http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-25804848> “to lift the
> restrictions on Yarmouk refugee camp and all areas of humanitarian
> need in Syria.”
>

>     Starvation
>
> Several dozen people are reported to have starved to death
> <http://electronicintifada.net/blogs/ali-abunimah/palestinians-trapped-syria-war-denied-aid-stalked-starvation>
> in recent months, amid widespread malnutrition
> <http://electronicintifada.net/blogs/ali-abunimah/profound-civilian-suffering-syrias-besieged-yarmouk-camp>
> in the camp which has been closed to humanitarian access since July.
>
> Access to at least one of the camp’s entrances is controlled by the
> Syrian army, while armed groups opposing the Syrian government control
> large areas inside the camp.
>
> Yarmouk was home to some 160,000 people before the fighting. While
> much of the camp has been destroyed, today about 18,000 people remain
> trapped inside, many of them women and children.
>
> The campaign is backed by UNICEF
> <http://electronicintifada.net/tags/unicef>, the UN Office for the
> Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
> <http://electronicintifada.net/tags/un-ocha>, UN High Commissioner for
> Refugees <http://electronicintifada.net/tags/unhcr>, Human Rights
> Watch <http://electronicintifada.net/tags/human-rights-watch>, and
> dozens of other
> <https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/8170-yarmouk-how-much-longer?locale=en>
> civil society, Arab and Palestinian groups around the world.
>

>     How to take part
>
> To take part in the campaign, social media users are invited to go to
> the Thunderclap page for the “Yarmouk: How much longer?”
> <https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/8170-yarmouk-how-much-longer?locale=en>
> campaign.
>
> There, you can sign up using your Twitter, Facebook or Tumblr account.

> [...]
*More...*
<http://electronicintifada.net/blogs/ali-abunimah/un-social-media-campaign-urges-end-yarmouk-camps-plight>*
*
Linux Beach has also published these recent posts about the situation in
Yarmouk:

      How Not to Be in Solidarity with Palestinians Refugees in Yarmouk
      <http://claysbeach.blogspot.com/2014/01/how-not-to-be-in-solidarity-with.html>

      Mondoweiss: While you were neutral about Yarmouk
      <http://claysbeach.blogspot.com/2014/01/mondoweiss-while-you-were-neutral-about.html>