[Marxism] First Statement from the Self-Defense Group of Aquila, Michoacán - El Enemigo Común

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Jan 20 08:01:53 MST 2014

 From the Self-Defense Group of Aquila, Michoacán to the general public:

Today, the residents of the municipal seat of Aquila, tired of the
extortions, rapes, killings, kidnappings and all sorts of criminal acts
committed by the Knights Templar; given the complete abandonment of the
citizenry by the municipal and state governments who for 12 years did
not provide the security needed for our people to have a peaceful and
dignified life; we have decided to organize our self-defense group in
order to expel organized crime from our town, and we invite the rest of
the people of the municipality to rise up against crime, so they never
again feel fear or pay protection fees.

As is known from the national and international media, our municipality
previously attempted to remove the yoke of organized crime. This
movement was led by members of the indigenous community of San Miguel
Aquila. This community is one of the four that comprises the
municipality, and is owner of an iron mine whose resources are exploited
by the transnational mining company Ternium. This company pays a royalty
to the indigenous community for the extracted iron, which it hauls from
Aquila, Michoacán to Tecomán, Colima, and organized crime charges them a
monthly quota. That is to say, they ask the residents to part with the
money they receive. If they don’t pay, they kill them. So the indigenous
from this community decided to form their community guard in order to
protect their heritage, life and dignity. They invited us to join them,
but we, as prisoners of fear of the reprisals from organized crime,
decided not to support them.

full: http://elenemigocomun.net/2014/01/self-defense-aquila-michoacan/