[Marxism] Why Twitter sucks big-time (for debates, at least)

Clay Claiborne clayclai at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 15:40:18 MST 2014

The McClatchy report is crap. I started a critique on another list, but
there is so much wrong with it that I ran out of time. This is what I did:

New analysis of rocket used in Syria chemical attack undercuts U.S. claims

> by Matthew Schofield
> McClatchy Foreign Staff
>  1/15/14
>
> BERLIN — A series of revelations about the rocket
>
> 2 types of rockets were used in the sarin gas attacks,
>

>>  believed to have delivered poison sarin gas to a Damascus suburb last
>> summer are challenging American intelligence assumptions about that attack
>> and suggest that the case U.S. officials initially made for retaliatory
>> military action was flawed.
>>
> The evidence that this attack came from Assad's forces came from many
> sources and is overwhelming:
>

>> A team of security and arms experts, meeting this week in Washington to
>> discuss the matter, has concluded that the range of the rocket that
>> delivered sarin in the largest attack that night was too short for the
>> device to have been fired from the Syrian government positions where the
>> Obama administration insists they originated.
>>

> SAA had many positions well with in range, they had been firing rockets on
> Ghouta for months.
>

>> Separately, international weapons experts are puzzling over why the
>> rocket in question – an improvised 330mm to 350mm rocket equipped with a
>> large receptacle on its nose to hold chemicals – reportedly did not appear
>> in the Syrian government’s declaration of its arsenal to the Organization
>> for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons and apparently was not uncovered by
>> OPCW inspectors who believe they’ve destroyed Syria’s ability to deliver a
>> chemical attack.
>>

> These rockets have shown up in many videos of attacks launched by the
> Assad regime, there has been no record of the opposition having or using
> them.
>

>> Neither development proves decisively that Syrian government forces did
>> not fire the chemicals that killed hundreds of Syrians in the early morning
>> hours of Aug. 21. U.S. officials continue to insist that the case for
>> Syrian government responsibility for the attack in East Ghouta is stronger
>> than any suggestion of rebel involvement, while experts say it is possible
>> Syria left the rockets out of its chemical weapons declaration simply to
>> make certain it could not be tied to the attack.
>>
>> “That failure to declare can mean different things,” said Ralf Trapp, an
>> original member of the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons
>> and a former secretary of the group’s scientific advisory board. “It can
>> mean the Syrian government doesn’t have them, or that they are hiding them.”
>>
>> As above, there is other evidence that they had them, see Brown Moses.

McClatchy seems to be a rather bios source. This is what I wrote about them
in
The Changing Importance of Qusayr, Syria in the
Media<http://claysbeach.blogspot.com/2013/06/the-changing-importance-of-qusayr-syria.html>

> A year ago, 23 April 2012, when Qusayr was a liberated city, McClatchy
> called<http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2012/04/23/146425/rare-inside-view-of-syrias-rebels.html#.UcC7GxWJSlh%23storylink=cpy>Qusayr *"this
> all but abandoned city that once was home to 35,000 people near the border
> with Lebanon."*
>
> Now, 5 June 2013, after Assad had taken it back, it is<http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2013/06/05/193119/after-assad-victory-over-rebels.html#.UcC9QBWJSlg> *"the
> strategic city of Qusayr in central Syria"*

Clay Claiborne, Director
Linux Beach Productions
Venice, CA 90291
(310) 581-1536