[Marxism] Nietzsche on MLK

Gary MacLennan gary.maclennan1 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 20:38:46 MST 2014

Hi Jim,

Well you are softer on Nietzsche than I am. I admit though one has to
account for his influence on the left. One could point out that reading and
interpretation are creative acts and so it is not easy to predict what one
will get from a writer.
But that seems something of a cop out to me.

Warren has argued that like Hegel, Nietzsche writings are politically
indeterminate and so can have followers across the political spectrum. The
problem is that I do not think that Nietzsche's politics are politically
indeterminate at all.  They leap out at one from every page.  Nor am I at
all certain that it is correct to say, as most people do, that his
philosophy is not very systematic. He is a proto-fascist through and
through. The genocidal butchers in Germany's colony of South West Africa,
were true Nietzscheans.

Yet the facts are there.  Nietzsche's first followers were on the left.
Feminists too used his ideas, unbelievable as that seems.

I have dipped into Geoff Waite's strange book *Nietzsche's Corps/e* and
what I get from it is the suggestion that the Left were seduced by
Nietzsche's revolutionary fervour.  He was of course a revolutionary of the
right.  Yet in my own time I have seen, leftists try to make cause with the
fascistic right in N. Ireland, and some have even tried that tack in Greece
with the Golden Dawn.

Finally though I settle for the explanation, admittedly not a very good
one, that those who suffer from the pain of "knowledge without power" and
who are isolated from the people/masses/working class, are prone to the
Nietzschean temptation.

Your last point about Foucault and Nietzscheanism, is the very reason why I
took up the study of Nietzsche's work and why I always insisted that
students should read Nietzsche, before going anywhere near Foucault.

comradely

Gary