[Marxism] Adjunct Justice » CounterPunch: Tells the Facts, Names the Names

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Jan 21 12:37:10 MST 2014

Academic Action
Adjunct Justice
by ANA M. FORES TAMAYO

I was an adjunct. But I can no longer call myself such. I have not
taught since this summer, chance classes I picked up. I hope that for
education, for us —the precariat, the adjunct, the contingent, the
casual, the occasional worker, whatever we want to call ourselves— we
have a new year filled with promise, hope, action, change. I may no
longer work in Higher Ed, yet I still have hope. Though I was “fired”
over a year ago now, and though I tried to fight this action as unjust,
the administration could not let me “infect” others and wanted to rid
itself of my influence. Therefore, they let me go in the hopes that my
invisibility would erase all traces of what is being done to contingent
faculty everywhere. With the continued activism of my colleagues and me,
however, I am hoping that our tenuous existence will no longer be that
invisible barrier that bars us from the great light against darkness
this year, 2014.1

full: http://www.counterpunch.org/2014/01/21/adjunct-justice/