[Marxism] UKRAINE: #LEFTMAIDAN: APPEAL TO THE LEFTISTS | Tahrir-ICN

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Jan 22 14:44:55 MST 2014

(From the anarchist blog that is mostly about Syria. It is almost enough
to persuade me to trade in my Marx for Bakunin, given all the shit I
have been reading from Marxists about Syria.)

http://tahriricn.wordpress.com/2014/01/22/ukraine-leftmaidan-appeal-to-the-leftists/

What is the role of the left in protest?

Comrades! People are now disorganized and in the dark! They have never
before had the experience of participation in mass protests, they are
silent and they have never before organized! They never had the
opportunity to hear someone give an adequate description of the
socio-economic reality we live in, they have never heard of the
criticism of capitalism!

Left, the blood is from the nose, you have to very actively involved
with the protest! Who will explain to the people the essence of a
systemic crisis of capitalism? Who will organize a high-quality and
effective opposition? Who will offer a reasonable alternative to social
order? This knowledge and experience can not occur without proper
intellectual correspondence and in a militant environment! And our first
task is to create it.

Why do so many left-wing activists and researchers remain passive or are
working at half-strength? I am convinced that the main reason for this
happening is a distorted perception of reality and a lack of
organizational experience. In addition, total unmotivational energy is
further fueled by the vibrant presence of neo-Nazis and politicians at
protests.

Two months of protest so far and nobody has done a thorough analysis of
class structure of the participants of the protest. Similarly, no one
has tried to understand the ideological confusion of the Square. Ask
yourself the question: what are the demands put forward of the people
struggling? What changes do they want to see happen? As far as the
demands, are they of expressing their class interests? Is the cause of
the resistance of the class interests? Why are people shouting “glory to
Ukraine!” and “death to the enemies!” Why not instead of the slogan
“Ukraine above all” is emphasized in importance more than saying, “human
rights are above all”? Why are there stickers that read “Freedom is not
a party,” and why are there anti political leftist posters at St.
Michael’s after the crackdown which gathered several thousand
supporters? In my opinion, all this proves discursive instability of the
protests. This creates ideal conditions for the struggle for hegemony of
the public. I am confident that we have the most objective conditions to
shift the focus of the protests to the social and economic problems.
While the level of organization of the left were not fully prepared for
mass protests. Our everyday experience of struggle was reduced to a few
rallies addressing equality versus deformation of. Times change the
perspective and methods of resistance! Remember what we want and think
what we need to do! We need to build a classless society and
authoritative powerlessness. We must prepare and begin a revolution!

(clip)